Recycled Advent Calendar
The directions to this Advent calendar were featured in the November 2013 issue of Family Fun magazine. It can be made in about an hour, uses recycled toilet paper rolls and is lots of fun for the kids. I like that I can control what goes in the pockets. I put trinkets & Legos, gum, candy, money, or slips of paper with a fun activity we are going to do on that day such as “Visit Santa” or “Bake Cookies”.
My youngest “popping” his hole.
To make this you will need: 1 (16×10-inch) piece of foam board, 12 toilet paper rolls, scissors, paint, paint brush, hole punch, string or ribbon, Tacky glue, tissue paper, 24 small rubber bands, a template for a 3½ inch circle, 24 items to put in the tubes, and number stickers.
1. Cut the toilet paper tubes in half and paint them (some craft store carry paper rolls that are already pre-colored if you don’t have enough rolls or don’t want to paint)
2. Punch two holes in the short side of the foam board and attach a string or ribbon for hanging.
3. After the paint has dried lay out the tubes on the foam board. Pour some Tacky glue on a paper plate and dip the bottom of each tube in the glue, then place it on the foam board. Let dry.
4. Using the 3½ inch circle template cut the 48 tissue paper circles. You should be able to cut at least 6 at a time.
5. When the paint is dry on the tubes fill each one with the trinkets. Place 2 tissue paper circles over the top of each roll and secure with a rubber band. Put the number stickers on the tissue.
6. Surprise your kids!
How cute it this little guy?
To make you need: White, Orange & Yellow card stock, 4 cupcake liners, toilet paper tube, scissors, tape, ruler, glue gun, black marker or wiggle eyes, pencil, large coin.
Cut 1 inch off the bottom of a toilet paper tube (save the ring). Fold in the top off the tube and tape it.
Cut the bottom ring off of a cupcake liner, cut it in half and glue it to the bottom of the roll.
Add 2 more liner halves.
Using the ring that was cut off the tube as a template cut out eyes from the cardstock.
Using a slightly smaller object such as a large coin; cut circles for the whites of the eyes and draw the eyes and dots. Cut a triangular piece from orange cardstock for the beak.
For the wings cut a cupcake liner in half and flatten them. Glue to the back.
Decorate your Christmas tree!
or your pumpkins in the fall.
Originally published in Family Fun Magazine.
WARNING: Cute Kid Alert!!!
I am not a crafty person. I wish I was and I attempt often and I fail often. However, this year I wanted a centerpiece for my Thanksgiving table. Nothing fancy, just something besides a salt and pepper shaker. So I headed to Pinterest and I found the PERFECT craft/centerpiece so simple, reusable, and I didn’t even have to go to the store. The genius behind it is Kristin at Yellow Bliss Road. So my 3 year old and I made it today.
Supplies: 20 canning rings, string, 3 cinnamon sticks, fabric leaves, and a hot glue gun.
String canning rings on string.
Tie string and insert cinnamon sticks in the center. Glue on leaves.
Ta Da! Don’t you love the peanut butter on his face!