My “4 weeks to last frost date” is quickly approaching. If you are new to gardening and are not sure where to start, here are a few things a northern gardener will be doing right now.
- Planting cold weather seeds outside. These are the seed packets that say: “plant as soon as the soil can be worked in the spring” “sow in early spring”, “4-6 weeks before last frost” or “2-4 weeks before last frost”. These crops can include but are not limited to: salad greens (spinach, arugula, radicchio, lettuce, bok choy), peas, swiss chard, scallions, leeks, broccoli, radishes, turnips, and german chamomile, calendula. If you don’t have a garden bed, all of these are perfect container garden plants.
- Planting onions seedlings or sets, spring garlic, and potatoes.
- Planting perennial crops such as asparagus, strawberries, raspberries or blackberries now is the time to build the bed and plant.
- Hunting for Morel mushrooms check out The Great Morel for more info on this topic.
- Last chance to start the tomatoes indoors if they don’t start get planted this week it will be too late.