¼ cup unsweetened coconut – can toast extra coconut to put in granola or on oatmeal
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup (1.75 ounces) dark brown sugar
2 tablespoon banana liqueur
4 under ripe bananas, sliced in half lengthwise
½ cup dark rum
Vanilla or coconut ice cream
1. To toast coconut: Preheat oven to 350. Spread coconut on a small baking sheet, and toast in oven 5 to 7 minutes, or until light brown and fragrant, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over low heat.
3. Add brown sugar, allspice and nutmeg and stir until sugar dissolves.
4. Add banana liqueur and bring sauce to simmer.
5. Add bananas and cook for 1 minute on each side, carefully spooning sauce over bananas as they are cooking.
6. Remove bananas from pan to a serving dish. Bring sauce to a simmer and carefully add the rum. If the sauce is very hot, the alcohol will flame on its own. If not, using stick flame, carefully ignite and continue cooking until flame dies out, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. If sauce is too thin, cook for 1 to 2 minutes until it is syrupy in consistency.
7. Immediately spoon the sauce over bananas and serve. Serve over ice cream sprinkled with toasted coconut.