Serves 4 – You will want to double this if serving more than 3 people
This is one delicious pairing! Be sure to use Extra Sharp White Cheddar and Granny Smith apples the two combined are like a symphony in your mouth.
2 sheet puff pastry (17.3-ounce package), thawed
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoons butter
10 ounces assorted mushrooms (such as button, cremini or baby bellas, shiitake, and oyster), sliced
1 shallot, sliced
Kosher salt and black pepper
¼ cup dry white wine
4 ounces sharp white Cheddar, grated (1 cup). Plus extra slices to serve with the apples.
1. Heat oven to 400° F. Unfold the pastry and cut it into 4 squares. Place the squares on a parchment-lined baking sheet and, using a fork, prick the dough all over.
2. Heat 1 tablespoons of the oil and the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and shallot and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the mushrooms are browned and tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 1 minute more.
3. Dividing evenly, sprinkle the pastry squares with half the cheese, leaving a ½-inch border on each. Top with the mushroom mixture and remaining cheese. Bake until the pastry is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
4. While the tart bakes, in a large bowl, whisk together the oil, red wine vinegar, grated orange zest, orange juice and salt and pepper from the recipe below. Add the greens and celery, toss to coat, and sprinkle with the chives.
5. Serve the tarts with the salad, apple slices with extra cheese.
**Real Simple, January 2011 – Flaky Mushroom and Cheddar Tarts
Nutritional Information per serving: Cal: 527, Fat: 39g, Sat Fat: 11g, Chol: 30mg, Sod: 794mg, Pro: 16g, Carb: 29g, Sugar: 5g, Fiber: 4g, Iron: 3mg, Calcium: 280mg
Salad Dressing (optional):
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 tablespoons orange juice
Salt and pepper
1 large head or 2 small heads red-leaf lettuce
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
Nutritional Information per serving: Cal: 162 Fat: 14g Sat fat: 2g Pro: 3g Carb: 8g Fiber: 3g Chol: 0.0mg Sodium: 308mg