2 pounds extra lean ground beef
2 carrots, sliced in ¼ inch increments
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced ¼ inch increments
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
½ cup dark beer
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper
1 (2-ct.) pkg. Pillsbury Pie crusts use one crust for the bottom and one for the top
1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. In a skillet, combine the beef, carrots, onion, celery, garlic and potato and cook, breaking up the meat, over medium-high heat until the beef is cooked through and some liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
2. Lower the heat to medium, add the beer and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the cheese, 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Let cool.
4. On a floured surface, roll 1 pie crust into a 12-inch round. Place in an oven proof 10-inch skillet or deep pie dish. Roll the other pie crust into an 11-inch round. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat mixture to the skillet or pie dish. Lightly brush the edge of the crust with some of the egg wash, then place the second sheet on top. Press the edges to seal, and trim to a ½ -inch edge.
5. Place the pie on a baking sheet. Brush the top with more of the egg wash and cut an “X” into the pastry. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Bake for 45 minutes, tenting with foil if the crust darkens too quickly. Transfer to a rack to cool for 15 minutes.