I ordered spices today and wanted to share how I save money on them. I use a lot of spices and I do not buy them from the grocery store, they are way too expensive. 2 years ago I began ordering spices from The Spice House they are less expensive and such high quality compared to what is at the grocery store. However, shipping can increase the cost so I only put in big orders 1 (maybe 2) times a year. This was my order today and it should last me at least until next summer:
- ½ cup (1.5 oz.) Mustard Powder, regular yellow
- 8 oz. Onion, toasted, minced
- ½ cup (.5 oz.) Oregano, broken leaf, Fancy Greek
- ½ cup (1 oz.) Thyme, broken leaf, French Select
- ½ cup (1 oz.) Rosemary, cracked needle
- ½ cup (.6 oz.) Basil, broken leaf, organic sweet California
- ½ cup Dill Weed, dehydrated
- ½ cup (.2 oz.) Nutmeg, ground
- ½ cup (1.5 oz.) Ginger, ground
- 1 cup each Cocoa – Natural for baking and Dutch for Hot cocoa
- ½ cup (2.5 oz.) Korintje Indonesian Cinnamon
- ½ cup (3 oz.) Pepper Lemon Seasoning
- ½ cup (.5) Italian Blend of Dehydrated Seasoning Herbs
- 1 cup (8 oz.) Chili powder
- 1 cup (8 oz.) Cayenne Pepper, ground
- 1 cup (3 oz.) Crushed “Caribe” Red Pepper Flakes
- 8 oz. Black peppercorns, Tellicherry
- 26 oz. Sea Salt, La Baleine, coarse
With shipping, I paid about $75 for spices, I order the refill bags and use jars I already have. I did order about 15 new glass jars this time though to replace the plastic ones I have been using (spices store better in glass). Therefore, I spent an extra $20 on jars bringing my total (with shipping) to $97.49.
Other items I order but didn’t need this time are: Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Crystallized Ginger Nibs.
If you are just starting out I highly recommend the Basic Spices Deluxe Gift box for $34.95 with 10 jars of spices and herbs the price and quality just cannot be beat in a grocery store.
Cleaning out of the spice cupboard to take inventory for my order. Notice all the mismatched jars and labels? I replace those with this order and will have mostly glass jars to put my spices in now.